In Ontario, psychological services outside of a hospital program are generally provided on a fee-for-service basis, and are not covered by OHIP (medicare). You may have coverage for psychological services from sources such as your healthcare plan at work, insurance, employee assistance plans or the WSIB. Currently my basic rate for a fifty-minute session is $200.00.

Payment is due when service has been provided. Usually I bill patients on the final session of each month, and ask for payment at that time. I accept direct payment by cash, cheque or e-mail transfer, and do not generally direct-bill private insurance plans. I do not accept credit or bank cards. Amounts overdue by more than 30 days after billing may be subject to a charge of 2% monthly.

If you and I have agreed on an appointment time and date, and you need to cancel or change it, then I ask you to notify me as early as possible. I reserve the right to bill you for a session missed without notice at least 24 hours ahead of time.

Under Ontario law, you are the owner of, and have the right to control your personal health information. This includes personally identified information you disclose to a regulated health professional such as a clinical psychologist. It also includes opinions or diagnoses a psychologist may form on the basis of that information. The psychologist is deemed to be a custodian of your personal health information, and is required to ensure its security, and your privacy and confidentiality.

Under Ontario law disclosure of your personal health information must not occur except with your informed consent. However, there are exceptions in which your personal health information could, or must, be disclosed without your consent:

  • If you are assessed to be a danger to yourself (e.g. self-harm, suicidality) information may be disclosed to protect you. If you are assessed to be a danger to others (e.g. intent to harm), potential victims of violence may be informed.

  • Risk or suspicion of child abuse must be reported to the Children’s Aid Society.

  • Risk or suspicion of elder abuse in a long-term care facility or retirement home must be reported to the Ontario Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care or Retirement Home Regulatory Authority.

  • A court of law can issue a subpoena to compel release of written notes and records, file contents, or testimony. This would normally be discussed with you before release of information.

  • If you have been sexually abused or harassed by another regulated health professional, then the appropriate regulatory college must be notified. This would not necessarily involve disclosure of your identity.

  • Police may require information from a psychologist in relation to a missing person.

  • For quality assurance purposes, the College of Psychologists may audit a psychologist’s practice, including clinical notes and records.